Saturday, May 07, 2005

Finite

Energy is finite, yes? I can give an expert a lump of coal and be told with some precision just how much energy can be produced from it. How does that apply to the human body? True, you can look at what you eat, your body's efficiency at burning calories, and myriad other factors to arrive at some sort of mathematical conclusion. But what about the mental energy expended in trying to make other people happy? When you are passionate about something, there is that sense, and maybe it is an illusion, that you have all the energy you need. You leap into your efforts and momentum practically carries you through the day. Until something steps in your path. And perhaps you overcome whatever the obstacle is, or it saps the strength from you to the point where you need to rest and start again. The reason love conquers all is because of the energy it provides; any extreme emotion allows us to tap into our reserves, though. Here's the catch: Are we using all of that energy for ourselves or for others? If I try to be passionately good about something, does that make me a stronger person regardless of whether it is appreciated? Or does the lack of appreciation make it all hollow and set me back? Is apathy an obstacle to be overcome, and if it is, how much energy are we willing to expend to overcome it? Or, does giving up make you stronger?
I think it does. Not always; sometimes people need to know just how serious you are about something to be convinced. But even then, there are days when the limit is reached. Those days can stretch out to weeks, months, even years. I don't give up easily. I second guess it every time. What if I had tried harder, what if I put every other aspect of my life on hold and just worked toward a singular goal? Would the results be different? Because I am stubborn, because I have denied my instincts and the weight of the evidence against doing so, I have done just that in the past. And failed every time.

No comments: