Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Facets of Fate

I read the headline but didn't read the story. Firefighter wakes up after 9 1/2 years in a coma. And I'm trying to think back to that point in time, late 1995, early 1996. The world really does change more in a few years than we perhaps realize. Or maybe we do know it, and that's what makes so much of the populace submissive, the notion that nothing can be done to truly affect the world. I try to think globally, and it just makes me dizzy. I have a hard enough time clearing off my desk. In fact, I just spent an hour trying to do just that, and yes, I made a dent, but I still have projects strewn about. Anyway, I digress, but maybe that's the point. Do we all retreat to some safe harbor when the world seems too insane?
And yet...I tore my world apart recently, and instead of retreating, jumped right into the process of rebuilding it into something that worked better for me. Not exactly uncharacteristic, except for the degree of certainty, the extent to which I actually felt comfortable in that choice.
Timing and instinct. Are both facets of fate? Yes, I think so.

No comments: