Sunday, April 30, 2006

First Lines for your novel

* Having trouble starting your novel? As a public service, I offer you these First Lines:

Ten minutes into the execution, we knew something was amiss.

I had little experience with venereal disease until I met her.

The carp were biting on anything, which was convenient for me as I had a boat full of my friend's body to dispose of and no fishing license.

Cry "Havoc!" and unleash the herd of cats!

It was the summer of '83, hot and sticky, just like every summer in many ways except for the ways in which it was not.

Standing in line at the airport, I begin to mentally unpack the luggage of my neighbours in the queue.

I did an inventory of my senses; the scent of apple pie and cigarettes, the starlet in the magazine I was reading while sitting at the kitchen table, the "click" behind me, a sharp pain near my left shoulder blade, the bitter taste of orange.

I am a lone tree in her forest of lovers.

I sat in church that morning wondering if God knew that the guy in front of me had fallen asleep, oblivious to the highly unorthodox mafia hit that had taken place before my eyes perpetrated by a man whose face would not reappear with any clarity in my mind until years later during a hypnotic therapy session.

No comments: