Friday, July 02, 2004

Every once in a while I glance wistfully at the Yamaha keyboard placed a few feet away from where I now sit. When you love music, it is not uncommon to feel as though you ought to be able to play as well. If I had more expendable income, I'd have guitars and amps and a drum set and possibly a saxophone and an accordion just sitting around, not being played, just as the keyboard with two ancient beginning piano texts on the music stand sits there, not being played. The texts are: The John Brimhall Piano Method (1968) and John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano (1936). My aunt, who taught piano for a number of years, probably had high hopes when I requested the use of some lesson books over a year ago, and what progress has been made? Very little. I'm hopeful, at this point, that I'll learn to play some simple songs by the time I retire.

No comments: