Saturday, June 17, 2000

Would anyone out there be able to recommend any brands of clove cigarettes? I have tried Sampoerna, Nat Sherman's, and Djarum. The Sherman's have hardly any clove taste to them at all; much too bitter as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had a Sampoerna for a file; I remember being a little harsh but definitely clove-y. The Djarum brand is by far my favorite. They have a whole asortment of varieties; they produce two called Splash and Bali Hai which, admittedly, seemed to be aimed at guys in their late teens/early 20's based on the light blue package and images of fish and surfers and whatnot. Packaging aside, both of these varieties have a good, sweet flavor and a nice consistency. My favorite, at the moment, is a line called Djarum Black; these are a little more rich and give off a pleasant aroma whilst burning so slowly that my friends can smoke two regular cigarettes in the time it takes to smoke my one clove.
Supposedly cloves are worse for you, although to me it seems a toss-up. Especially when one considers that cloves generally burn longer (requiring fewer overall to be lit up) and seem (by my observation, which I can't substantiate with any scientific evidence) to be less addictive.

No comments: